Thursday, March 08, 2007

Am returning from a 2pm - 5pm extra class in Dynamics of Machinery (DOM)... The post-lunch drowsiness, the arrangement by the helpful professor to have the class air-conditioned for the lecture, and, invariably, the 'dynamic' nature of the subject, combined to create an atmosphere in which even the most hardened insomniac would fall face-first in an instant. I watched helplessly as my friends fell all around me, quicker than US soldiers on Omaha beach. I strove, I persevered, I fought back the demon who was trying so desperately to close my eyes and get me thrown out of class. A shot of caffeine during a 10-minute break did more than its part in keeping me up. The professor, bless him, did everything he could to keep the students' attention on himself than on blurred images of their own desks. He showed videos, animations, and even cracked jokes. Still men fell everywhere... good men... valorous men. Finally, he decided to stop the carnage at 4:20, and we were let out. I am a survivor... yeah!!

1 comment:

Helios said...

Camouflage is the name of the game if you want to survive on this battle field:

1. Glasses: when worn properly gives u a certain nerdy look which assures the prof. that u r listening...also with the proper light, the reflection can completely cover up any temporary [or even permanent] lapses in conciousness...

2. It may not be obvious to the amateur on first site...but there is a certain frequency with which the prof. scans the class....the key is bring your sleep cycle into resonance with this frequency...easier said that done....very few have achieved this level...else u may adopt the ´headbanging tactic´...for further details, contact manusmad ;-)